Sunday 17 July 2011

Wet and windy July weekend!

Well the weather is hardly summery this weekend which is a real shame. Alex and I have got used to spending our days outside in the sun and we have missed it this weekend. Instead we have done all the shopping, cleaning, washing, tidying and cooking together - he enjoyed the cooking most of all - especially when we made flapjacks! To get us out of the house and to stop us both going stirr crazy we went swimming yesterday afternoon, although I don't think it did either of our colds much good, and today I took him to the local indoor play area to work off some steam.
I have also had time to craft which has been fun. It is time for another Quirky Challenge, which was set this week by Cazzy.  She titled this challenge 'Very puzzling' and the aim is that we had to do something to do with puzzles, real jigsaw puzzle pieces, or punched or die cut ones, or even inchie puzzles. I didn't have any puzzle pieces or anything to make some so went to the local charity shop where I bought a 500 piece puzzle for 49p!  I then set about altering a couple of the pieces. I started with painting using acrylic paint and then stamped over the top of the paint.
I used images from our sponsor this week (the stamping boutique), printed out really small and coloured in with promarkers, cut them out and stuck them on and then added writing, gems and sparkle (using a sakura stardust pen).
I must apologise for the quality of the photos...my poor camera is on its last legs and really struggled with how small these pieces are: The 5p piece in this photo is to give you an idea of scale! I am entering these into Paperplay 'things with wings', Pixie dust 'girlie' (well to me fairies are a girlie image), Paper Cutz 'things found in the sky', and Sew many card 'glitter/sparkle' challenges.
As is usual for me I checked out the Less Is More challenge first thing yesterday morning.  Now I don't have any circle stamps or punches so this was a challenge for me... in the end I used three different sized pen lids to stamp with!  I used versacolour inks (rose red, burgandy, green and evergreen) and stamped down a masked off strip on the left hand side of my card, added red and green gems and then a sentiment on the other side to create the final effect. I have to confess that this was my third attempt at a circle card...the others ended up in the bin! I am also entering this card into the CTT 'circles' and stamp something 'Christmas in July' challenges.
Finally I made a scrapbook layout following this weeks Sketchy Thursday sketch. This layout didn't need any journalling as the title 'Tell a story please Great Gran' says it all! This also fits with Scrap and Stamp 'buttons', Scrapfit 'birds' and SIWAS 'every little thing she does is magic' (I used the phrase 'tell a story' from the song).  That is all from me for now. Have a great week everyone.
Love,
Caro
x

14 comments:

Kathyk said...

Lovely projects from you and I expecially like that you've turned your circles in a Christmas card with their colours

Kathyk

Missy Whidden said...

Very sweet layout! Grandparents are so special :) Thanks for playing with us at ScrapFIT!

Chrissie said...

Very inventive to use pen tops for your stamping Caro, were you a Girl Guide?
Well done!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
Lady LIM
"Less is More"

Zoechaos said...

Fabulous Christmas card and your jigsaw pieces are brilliant. XOXO Zoe

Tracy said...

Such a sweet LO!!!!

Cazzy said...

I love the altered jigsaw pieces Caro, that is where I get mine from too. I had a big piece waiting to be altered, so I did.

That is a lovely Alex moment too.

Cazzy x

Marilyn said...

So sweet and lovely page!!!Thanks for playing with us at ScrapFIT!!

Emily C said...

I love you projects. Your layout for the song if amazing. Such precious memories.

Emily C SIWAS guest designer

Mandi said...

So inventive
Love the simplicity Caro
Thank you
Diva LIM
"Less is More"

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeee your lo and your card! That photo on your lo is just precious!! And LOVING the puzzle pieces! Thanks soooooooo much for playing along with Sketchy Thursdays! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Anne said...

What a clever idea to use pen lids for your card, is is a perfect, elegant C&S, love it.
Hope you're feeling better soon
Anne
x

Deirdre said...

Great projects - love what you created.

Thanks so much for joining us on Paperplay this week.

Sara Zenger said...

Great work!!! I love your layout! Thanks for working out with us at ScrapFIT!

Lisa F said...

Very pretty layout! Thanks for joining us in our button challenge at Scrap and Stamp!